This side dish uses the classic combination of Brussels sprouts, bacon, and onions, made even better when roasted in a hot oven to ensure crispy bacon and golden-brown sprouts.
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Set an oven rack at the lowest position and preheat oven to 475°F.
- Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts and 1 tablespoon of the oil. In a small bowl, combine onion and remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Spread onion in an even layer over one half of the prepared baking sheet, and arrange bacon in an even layer on the other half.
- Cook in preheated oven until bacon begins to brown and onions begin to soften, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Add Brussels sprouts and stir to combine with bacon and onion. Flip sprouts cut side down.
- Return to oven and continue cooking until sprouts are deep golden brown and bacon is crispy, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then transfer to a platter and serve.