Would you like to learn how to make light and fluffy pumpkin muffins just like Starbucks? Starbucks makes pumpkin cream cheese muffins every year that are only available from September to November as part of their fall menu. However, if you enjoy pumpkin and cream cheese flavors as my wife and kids do, you don’t have to wait for these seasonal treats! You can make your own pumpkin cream cheese muffins at home with an extra crunch of streusel topping.
Nothing screams fall like pumpkin, and when it comes to pumpkin-flavored foods, Starbucks can’t be beat! Our Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin recipe perfectly captures the fall flavors in one delicious treat! It’s easy to whip up this fall favorite that your whole family will enjoy making, sharing, and eating!
- All-purpose flour: All-purpose flour holds the structure of muffins while baking. The gluten it contains helps stretch the dough, trapping the gasses and making them soft and fluffy.
- Pumpkin pie spice: If you don’t have this, you can use a mixture of cinnamon (¾ tsp) and nutmeg or ginger (½ tsp).
- Pumpkin puree: It not only acts as a sweeter but also as a fat substitute. There is practically no difference when you get canned versus fresh. At restaurants, we use canned pumpkin puree ALL the time.
- Butter: Butter helps the dough in creating air pockets. Hard butter leads to over-blending, which will affect the texture of the batter, so use melted and cooled butter.
- Light-brown sugar: It adds a depth of sweetness and a delicious toffee note to your muffins.
- Baking powder and soda: Both are used as a leavening agent that helps the dough rise while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and stir in melted butter, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree until evenly blended.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until blended. Set your batter aside.
- To make the filling, take another bowl and mix softened cream cheese, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and all-purpose flour. Stir until just combined well, and then transfer this filling into the piping bag.
- For streusel topping, stir together the melted butter and flour, and then add brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Prepare the muffin tin for baking by placing the muffin liners or parchment paper. Fill the muffin cups with batter. Fill only ¾ of the cup as the dough rises on the baking.
- Now, you need to put about one tablespoon of cream cheese filling into the center of the batter. For this purpose, dip the tip of the piping bag into the center and press the bag slowly while lifting upward.
- Sprinkle your favorite crunchy streusel topping on top of all muffins.
- Bake for almost 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool a bit before taking them out from the tins.
These Starbucks pumpkin cream cheese muffins are so easy to make in advance, making them great as a grab-and-go breakfast or as an after-school treat for the kids. You can warm them up in a microwave, just the same way Starbucks does for that fresh-outta-the-oven taste and enjoy with your favorite cup of espresso, cappuccino or latte.
How should I store Starbucks pumpkin cream cheese muffins?
You can store these muffins in the refrigerator in an airtight container if not taken within 4-5 hours after making them. Use them within four days; otherwise, shift them to the freezer. If you live in colder climates, this time of the year, you can keep them in a cake dome.
Can I freeze the pumpkin cream cheese muffins for later use?
Yes, you can freeze the pumpkin cream cheese muffins for up to a month in the freezer but make sure you wrap them in a freezer-safe bag or an airtight container. I recommend making enough muffins to use for one time only, as freezing the pumpkin cream cheese muffins will make them soggy, and they might lose their fluffiness.
Wrapping it up
Making your own Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins inspired by Starbucks is really easy to make. With the addition of a brown sugar streusel, you’ve made this your own. You can also toast and candy some “pepitas” or sunflower seeds for extra crunch, texture, and sweetness to your muffins.
If you tried this recipe and feel free to tag me so I can see your culinary creation!
Hungry for more?
Snag our FREE DIGITAL MONTHLY MAGAZINE, so you can get more recipes and ideas on how to host more meals that will WOW your family and friends. Confidence in the kitchen isn’t just for Michelin-trained chefs. You can make mealtime family time with 5-star culinary recipes that impress.
You can get your FREE copy right HERE.